Monday, October 1, 2007

Monday, Bloody Monday

So I had to go get some blood drawn today. I normally don't have a problem with blood. The only problem that I have with it is when it is outside the veins, arteries, and body in general. When it is inside the body doing it's job I'm fine with it. In fact I am quite a fan of blood and all the hard work it does. Once it escapes the body in mass quantities I am done. I'm ok with scrapes and small cuts and stuff like that but once it starts to drip I get real woozy. I refuse to give blood at blood drives because of my disdain for the sight of blood. I usually claim to have visited a malaria infested country in the last three months whenever the topic of a blood drive comes up. I especially don't like blood in containers. My fingers are going a little numb just thinking about it. I learned of my problems with the sight of blood a long time ago when I had to get my blood drawn in high school. I made the mistake of looking at the blood filled viles after the nurse was finished and my eye sight narrowed and everything went white. I didn't completely pass out but I almost did. I had to lay down and my ears were buzzing. Passing out is no good. The only time I have ever really passed out was at my first BYU football game when I was a freshman in college. I hadn't eaten anything that day (which is kinda funny because the only thing I did the rest of that year was eat) and it was really hot in the stadium. As I was walking around I knew I was going down because everything was going white and I had to grab onto one of the bars as I went down for the count. Go Cougars! A friend was with me at the time and I came to rather quickly but it is not an experience that I want to repeat. Anyway, today's blood drawing experience wasn't bad at all. I got the gay nurse which really helped things along. He was really funny and made fun of the odors (read as: fart smell) coming from the hallway. (There were a lot of old people in the office too. Nothing against old people but they are kinda gassy.) He sprayed a bunch of flower scented air freshener into the hallway and did a sweeping butterfly movement with his arms. He was great. So he asked me what arm I wanted to get the blood from and I answered that I didn't care. (Are people normally picky as to which arm to use??? I don't think it's right to favor one side of the body over the other. I am for equal opportunity.) I said that all I wanted was to see no part of this procedure. He laughed and set a stuffed monkey (not a REAL stuffed monkey, one of those beanie baby ones) next the window. He said to just look at the monkey. I complied immediately. I didn't want to see any of the prep work or instruments, nothing. I don't like the look of needles not because of pain but mostly just for the fact that they are responsible for the blood coming out. After the blood was drawn the nurse asked me to hold the gauze over my little needle prick. My head did not move from its position only my right arm. It took me a couple of tries to find the gauze on my arm which made the nurse laugh a little. Once he removed the gauze he made me look at my arm to see all the damage the needle had done. I did with apprehension. It was fine though. No blood! I didn't even get woozy. Thank goodness. This weekend Angelo asked me how much blood they were taking. I answered, "all of it." For all I know that could have been true but for some reason I don't think they did.

No comments: