Friday, December 21, 2007

Your barn door is open.

Last week I got some new pants. I wore them on Monday for the first time and after a few hours at work I realized my fly was down. My first instinct was to blame the pants. Darn pants! The zipper must have fallen down. Upon inspection I found that wasn't really the case of course - it was more like operator error. Sometimes when I get new pants this happens to me. It's like the newness throws me off my routine. You know- normally it's zip, button. Well I remember that morning I was futzing with my shirt too much and I had buttoned before I zipped which made me forget to zip at all. The moment of discovery occurred in the bathroom at work which is where one normally discovers this sort of thing. I looked down and saw that I had left the barn door open. Immediately I tried to remember all the people I had talked to and in what position I had been sitting or standing while in their presence. So there in my tiny bathroom stall, I reenacted all of the scenarios I could remember. After a few moments of experimentation, I concluded that I had not had anyone see that my tray table was not in the fully upright and locked position. (At least that's what I told myself.) What do you do when you see someone who needs to zipper their doodah? Do you tell them to XYZ (that's code for Xamine Your Zipper- remember that one from elementary school?) or do you let their pants continue to have a split personality?

1 comment:

JoeFlyer said...

That's a tricky question...for me, being a guy, I would usually tell another guy. But, if I tell a lady her zipper's down I sound like a perv.