Monday, December 10, 2007

I can tell it's Christmas...

because my boss Cathy is ringing. As soon as December arrives she busts out her Christmas sweaters. I have come to look forward to this part of my holiday season! The amazing thing is the shear number of Christmas sweaters she has - it must be in the triple digits. I have learned that an important feature for a true Christmas sweater is that it must have bells attached to it. Today's sweater had bells instead of buttons lining the front of the sweater. (I find myself disappointed whenever her crazy sweater doesn't have a bell. It somehow feels not quite as festive.) Another bonus to the bells - you can tell when she's coming because all you hear is a "ching, ching, ching, ching." You can hear her coming from a mile away. I halfway expected a Christmas carol when she walked down the hallway this afternoon. It is also amazing how many of her Christmas sweaters incorporate cats. (My boss loves cats and has 8 at home. Real ones.) Cathy also likes to pass her love of Christmas sweaters on to others. My first Christmas present from Cathy was...you guessed it...a Christmas sweater! It was hilarious. My friend and co-worker Kimberly, along with Cathy, watched me open it and it was one of those moments in your life where time suddenly goes into slow motion. You are unwrapping this beautiful box and as you gaze upon your new possession you can feel your eyeballs bugging out of your head a little. I pulled the sweater out of the box and began holding it up to my chest, hands quivering. All the while internal me is shouting, "Oooooooooh mmmmmy goooosssssssshhh! Please don't let your face show the horror that is in your heart at this moment." All the while Kimberly is about to rupture a hernia from laughing so hard. Cathy explained that she thought everyone needed a Christmas sweater and I nodded in agreement - eyes still slightly bugged out and unable to blink. Later Kimberly explained to me that on her first Christmas at the Film Commission Cathy had given her a Christmas sweater too but she had exchanged it immediately. I kinda like my sweater. I pack it with my Christmas stuff each year and every year when I'm pulling out the decorations I find a bag with something soft inside. I think,"What the heck is this?" and then when I open the bag a smile creeps across my face. The gift has actually come in handy. For instance, the Halloween when I dressed up as Cathy I immediately knew what my main accessory was going to be. And my favorite part of my sweater? The tiny bells.

1 comment:

*J*E*N* said...

I think my grandma has that same sweater.