Wednesday, April 30, 2008

The great pencil shortage of '08

Monday I was furiously trying to finish up some reports for our board meeting at work when Sybil the intern decided to drop by my office. I've got papers strewn across my desk and I'm punching away at my trusty calculator. So she comes wandering into my office and goes, "Um, Katie, I just wanted to make you aware of something. It appears that there aren't any pencils in this office. I've looked around and there just aren't very many." By this time, I've paused, looked up and I'm trying to comprehend what the heck she's talking about...So I say, "You're looking for a pencil? Did you look in the mail room. There are some in the drawer." To this she replies, "No, no, I have one. I hide it so I can always find it but it appears that there is a shortage of them in this office." I probably stared at her a little too long before I explained that, "You know, we don't really use many pencils around here..." (While inside I continued, "Because we have these big things called COMPUTERS all over this office!") ..."I'm sure I can find you some more in a drawer somewhere." Then she left and I had to sit in disbelief for a few moments. I had no idea there were people still so passionate about using a regular old #2 pencil. I can only stand to use mechanical pencils because they stay sharp continuously. Sybil apparently is still a big fan of the old school pencil. Now I just got to go figure out where she's hiding this one pencil.

No comments: