Friday, January 4, 2008

HNY

My boss just buzzed me and asked, "What does HNY mean?" I paused for a moment as I often do when I get these kind of questions from her and then replied, "I have no idea, in what context did this come up?" Then she explained that one of our more crazy board members had responded to her monthly board email with just the following... HNY. So I did what I always do with crazy questions - I googled! Thank goodness for the internet! I don't know how life ever existed without it. So in a few seconds I was able to solve the mystery. The first option was hot naked yoga. Could that be it? I wouldn't be that surprised because this person is seriously crazy but I believe the supposed answer appeared on freedictionary.com as an acronym for...drum roll please...Happy New Year! We got a good laugh out of it. Is it that hard to just type "happy new year" to someone? Are those extra 9 letters so cumbersome? Is it better to leave someone wonder what the heck you are talking about? My boss responded that maybe she should just type back FU. She cracks me up. It reminded me of the little girl in Sleepless in Seattle that only talks in acronyms, remember her?

Jessica's Father: Jessica, this is your father. Tell us where he is, right this minute!
Jessica: "N.Y."
Sam Baldwin: What's that?
Jessica's Father: "No way."
Sam Baldwin: That's "N.W."!
Jessica: New York. He's on his way to New York.

So to all of you - I wish you HNY! (Good luck with your yoga.)

6 comments:

mistyb said...

too funny! love the new look of your blog!! happy new year!!

*J*E*N* said...

I love the new format, much more you! I can't even believe that you just quoted that movie, I was just thinking about that scene as I was vacuuming yesterday (something reminded me of it)-funny! It's because of all the crazy texters out there with their own "initial" language.

BatMom said...

HNY! BTW, ITA everytime i see those abbreviations online i think of that exact exchange from sleepless in seattle!

regibells said...

UCME- this means "you crack me up" for those people that need translations. P.O.S (peace out sista!) ;)

regibells said...

hehehe I mean UCMU wow good thing I don't speak in acronyms!

Katie said...

I had to look up what ITA means. "I totally agree"