Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Aaaarrrrgh!

So I just got home from work and it's 10pm! Yuck. We have our giant industry party tomorrow night at work and it is always so crazy leading up to it. I will be so glad when it's over tomorrow. I am the only one in our office who can use any graphic programs so I get to make the programs, signage, raffle information, nametags, and anything else that takes a computer. I have been on a buying spree all week too. I did not buy the booze though. I leave that to someone else. It's funny because the girl I am working on this with was asking what beer we should get and I was like, "Ah, hello, you're talking to the wrong person!" She just laughed at me. (She knows I'm Mormon of course.) Anyway, some people in the office think that more people equals more help but that isn't always true.

Them: "Katie, what do you need help with? You can have the intern all day."
Internal Me: "Um, great, now I get to spend my day trying to figure out how to keep someone else busy while my own hair is on fire."
External Me: "Great. Come on Intern."

The intern we have right now is this really funny college guy (who reminds me of John Belushi.) He is really fun to talk to normally but today I realized that the kid has a freakin' story for everything.

Me: "Can you pack all of these boxes up and move them to the boardroom?"
Intern: "Sure, this one time when I was working at a pizza place I almost cut my finger off."
Me: "Really, that's crazy, move the boxes."

Another time:
Me: "Can you spray mount all these sign to this foam core?"
Intern: " Sure, last night I was watching this Carey Grant movie about some grandmas that kill people."
Me: "Really, I haven't seen that one, here's the spray mount."

Sometimes I like to stay late at work because I can get more done with no one there. I got pretty much everything done that I needed to and I only swore at my computer and/or the printer about 5 times. I will be so glad when tomorrow is over!

5 comments:

Camilla said...

good story! thoroughly enjoyed it. some times I'm glad I'm not a part of the corporate world any more. good luck with your party!

janet said...

That guy is great!..enjoy every moment...ask him if he has any tats...I work with lots of 20/21 year olds and they are sooo funny...I wish I could take a picture of my face when they are talking to me...... One just told me she wants to try to have a baby next month...or adopt... I guess like Angelina...

Angelo Outlaw said...

I envision Janet going, "uh huh, wow that's cool, oh really," in her outside voice. But what she's really saying on the inside is something entirely different.

Katie said...

Oh funny enough I have already had the tat conversation with him. He doesn't have any because his mother threatened to disown him if he got one. They are very wealthy. :)

*J*E*N* said...

Interestingly enough I am a bit of a control freek like YOU (bet ya didn't know) and my husband is little like that intern. Why don't they just focus, focus, focus on the task at hand!!!!