Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Tower of Terror

So I gotta tell you about the elevators at work. You never know what's going to happen when riding them. Today one of my co-workers was in an elevator and the elevator refused to go to our floor. He pushed 15 on the panel and the elevator went all the way up to the top floor. So he pushed it again and it sent him careening down to the first floor again. So he pushed all the floors around our floor and it finally let him off on the 12th floor so he had to walk up 3 flights of stairs. The funny thing is that my other co-worker had the very same thing happen to him on Monday! He got out on the 16th floor- lucky. Whenever you're taking a ride in the elevator you have to kinda brace yourself because it stops so fast sometimes. You can always tell the new people who are riding our elevators because they have scared looks on their faces. Not us veterans, we're used to it, it barely phases us anymore. Sometimes it takes forever to catch an elevator. You can hear them rushing by but they won't stop. Sometimes the doors will open and the floor of the elevator will be about 6 inches below the office floor so you have to step out carefully. I have literally seen people jump out of the elevator! I also carry a granola bar in my purse just because I fear that at some point I might be stuck in the elevator and have to wait to be rescued and I know I would get hungry. Luckily, the fire department offices are in our building, that brings me a little comfort. Sometime when I step in the elevator I look around at the people who I am in there with and evaluate whether I would mind being stuck in the elevator with them. That's really weird. We joke that our office is ten minutes from downtown because of the elevator ride.

No comments: