Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Potty Breaks

I have a strange relationship with the bathroom at work. It is a public bathroom with three stalls in it but the only people who use it are the 10 or so women who work on our floor. So often times I go to the bathroom and enjoy the peace and tranquility of being alone and the luxury of no one being able to call or interrupt me what with the stall door separating me from the toils of the outside world. So sometimes I linger a little longer than is necessary. Some people take smoking breaks, I take potty breaks. So just now I was sitting enjoy the quiet when the lights went out. The lights are on a motion detector sensor which is suppose to know when someone is using the facility. If no movement is detected for a certain amount of time it shuts off the lights. Unfortunately, this is not the first time this has happened to me. So I sat there in disbelief for a few moments as I always do. (Somehow offended that the light didn't remember that I was still in here.) Then comes the inevitable flailing of the arms. If that doesn't work then I feel for the latch and open and slam the door to the stall and that usually will turn them back on. Well that didn't work this time. So I slammed the door a few times thinking that the vibration will surely trigger the motion detector. That didn't work. Thinking about that now I am lucky the door didn't fling back and smack me in the face! So anyway I had to get up, open the door, and waddle toward the sensor. (All in the dark mind you.) Once the lights were back on I hurried back to my stall. Sanctuary!

1 comment:

Camilla said...

You are hilarious!!! The mental picture I have in my head right now makes me laugh. So is this what corporate America is like? :)