Friday, September 19, 2008

Going Bananas

I had the exciting task of taking my parents to the airport this morning. As I entered their house my mom yelled down the hall to my dad that I had arrived. My dad shouted back something about which shirt was packed, I don't know. My parents are retired and therefore spend A LOT of time together. Which means that sometimes they annoy the crap out of each other. It's hilarious. Sitting around while they finish packing for a 5 day trip was beyond entertaining. My mom had a bunch of stuff on the kitchen counter that she hadn't put in her carry on bag yet. My dad was buzzing around the kitchen and started asking her what she was going to do with this stuff. She told him that she would take care of it. He asked her another question and she grabbed a banana, pointed it at him, and blurted out, "ARE YOU GOING TO EAT THIS BANANA????" I think she was just trying to illustrate to him that his constant questions had become annoying but instead she just sounded like she was brewing her own brand of crazy. I couldn't contain myself and my dad and I just started laughing. Earlier my mom had asked my dad to take out the trash before they left. While they were still gathering up their stuff I grabbed the bag and took it outside to the trash cans. When I got back my mom was shouting down the hall from her bedroom asking my dad if he had taken out the trash. My dad wandered into the kitchen and asked her where the trash was. To my mom, of course, this was a stupid question. "What do you mean where's the trash? I left it right there next to the trash can!" (I decided I would just sit and enjoy this for a while.) My dad yelled back, "There's no trash." My mom comes back into the kitchen and says, "What do you mean? Did we loose the trash? You didn't take the trash out? Where did it go?" My dad responds, "I don't know, there's no trash." By this time I couldn't hide my convulsing shoulders anymore and they looked at me. My mom asked if I had taken it out and I said no, I hadn't seen any trash. They knew I was lying and the mystery of the missing trash had been solved. Sometimes its fun to make your parents think they're crazy. As they finished up it was fun to just randomly shout, "ARE YOU GOING TO EAT THIS BANANA????" at them. My mom looked at me as we exited the house and said, "Ah shoot, this isn't going to be a blog is it???"

4 comments:

Tara said...

That'll teach 'em...fear of the blog!!! :) Yes the candles did cause me to have quite the face. Fortunately I didn't even attempt to put 32 candles on the cake. Unfortunately I thought that it was a bright idea to light them on the kitchen counter beneath the cabinets!!!! I just screamed for the birthday boy to come to the kitchen quick! hahaha

*J*E*N* said...

So funny :) I find myself already having these conversations and were only 9 years into marriage!

Angelo Outlaw said...

We have our own versions of this conversation. Only, I can't remember particulars. Maybe that's on purpose.

Unknown said...

OH my gosh, that's so funny!! It reminds me of my parents!