Thursday, August 14, 2008

Utah News

It has been a while since I lived in Utah but it didn't take long till the old Utah vernacular came rushing back to my mind. In the four years I lived there to go to college I have to admit I did fall victim to some of the Utah slang. I was a big fan of both "flip" and "fetch" and I'm sure I occasionally fell victim to the dreaded "oh my heck." So I almost laughed my head off when we were watching KSL News and the sportscaster (a sophisticated, middle aged man) reported that "all heck broke loose" during a NASCAR race crash. After the footage of the wreck was shown, the camera cut back to the female anchor who simply shouted, "Yowzah!" I couldn't decide if that was fun and casual or weird and unprofessional. It caught me off guard but oh my heck it was flippin' hilarious.

4 comments:

Tara said...

Gotta love Utah! You know you miss it as much as I do!! :) So fun that you guys have a blog. I'm excited to keep in touch better...this seems the way to do it!

BatMom said...

while we were on the trek in SLC, i heard someone say "oh my heck!" - it made me laugh to remember that all of us who have lived there have fallen into that pattern. although i must admit it would be nice if some of the cholos we were with fell into that pattern!

Angelo Outlaw said...

I think the cholo Utah vernacular would sound something like:

"Oh my heck foo!"

or

"What the flip you want homie?"

janet said...

Frick!