Thursday, August 14, 2008

Spark!

So I have to gloat for a moment. My pants no longer fit! ( I mean that in a good way.) I mentioned a while back that I was going to start working out and be healthier and I have been a very good girl. I started working out pretty consistently in March and was feeling better but not really losing any weight. On May 1st I signed up on www.sparkpeople.com which is a FREE health website which is so cool. It helps you manage your fitness minutes and also has a nutrition tracker where you input food you eat and then it tell you how many calories you are eating. It helps you balance what you need to eat versus how long you need to workout to reached your desired goals. It's super easy to use! It has lots of other tools as well like message boards and articles too. Once I started tracking my food calories and fitness minutes I started losing weight immediately. I have now lost 20 pounds! (That works out to be over 10% of my previous body weight - doesn't that sound cool?) An article last month reported a recent study which showed that if you record your food intake your chances of losing weight doubles!

I had no idea how many calories I was eating in a day. I had to be pushing 3,000 calories per day easily. Now I've learned how to judge portions and I basically eat what I want just not as much. People have no idea what they are putting in their bodies. New York City just enacted a law which makes food establishments print the calories with the prices of their food. Check out this article. People's reactions to the postings are hilarious.

So I am adjusting to my new lifestyle change. That what it's called, it's not a diet, it's a "lifestyle change". Whatever it's called I'm liking it.

2 comments:

Camilla said...

way to go, katie! congrats on losing 20 lbs., thats awesome. i totally agree, most people, myself included, don't think about what we put in our mouths and how it all adds up. after this baby is born i need to smack down...hmm... maybe i can convince my dentist to wire my mouth shut for a few months....hahaha...

BatMom said...

well done! i am very proud of you. have i ever told you about my theory on weight? i think there is a finite amount of weight to go around in the world and so if someone is losing, someone else is gaining. so since you and doug are doing so well, and everyone on the trek lost about 3lbs each, i have taken up the slack for you all! glad to be of service - hopefully someone else will take up this little position and i can be one of the "losers" ;-)