Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Elevator Ettiquette

Here's a word of advice...when you get into an elevator it is not necessary to point out something someone is holding or doing and comment about it. You just look stupid and you are annoying. The other day I got in the elevator at work to go downstairs. On the way down, the elevator stopped on another floor and the janitor came on with a rolling trash can. The next time the elevator stopped two women got on and as they entered one said, "hey you've got trash!" and pointed to the trash bin. The other woman just kinda giggled and then they just stood there. The janitor just looked at her blankly. Poor guy, I'm sure he gets dumb comments a lot. I rolled my eyes and shook my head. (I was especially irritable that day.) What is the response she wanted back? "Yeah, can you believe it? Imagine that, there is trash in a trash can!" I have had this happen to me on a number of occasions. Whenever I have had a lot of mail or a dolly full of stuff people always seem to look at it and then make some dumb remark like, "Look! Mail!" If you are so insistent to start up a conversation then say something nice like, "How are you today?" or talk about the weather but don't dumbly point at an object and shout its name like Frankenstein. (Me stupid!) Elevator passengers have the same trouble as airplane passengers. You just want to peacefully enjoy the ride but there always has to be that one person who insists on chatting even though you are trying your best to look busy by reading the mail or looking intently at the ceiling. It's one thing to be friendly and nice but few people appreciate idiotic comments about inanimate objects.

2 comments:

Teneil said...

Poor guy! You would think that if people insisted on being rude they could at least do it in an unconfined area. An elevator is no place for bad behavior.

Camilla said...

I just hide behind my kids, they are the conversation starters. :) Gotta put them to use somehow...haha.