Monday, February 11, 2008

Inappropriate

This weekend I went to ANOTHER baby shower. Tis the season I guess. Anyway, this was a shower for one of my friend's from high school and so our moms always come to these things too. I had put my new red Coach purse with the rest of the purses in the living room. At one point my friend's mom picked it up and said, "Who's purse is this!!??" I happily replied that it was mine and she went on and on how pretty it was and how she wanted it, blah, blah, blah. She asked where I got it from and I told her my boss had given it to me for my birthday. She then asked where I worked and said how lucky I was. I then replied, "Yeah, I am very lucky, me and my boss are very close." She then looked sideways at me and gave me an "oh really???" sort of a look which took me a few seconds to process. When I was in elementary school I remember some teacher doing the "what do you picture when I say the word firefighter or nurse?" quiz. Once you had a mental picture in your head they would show you a picture of a woman firefighter or a male nurse just to show how sometimes we think of jobs as gender specific. On Saturday I learned that apparently when you say the word "boss" a person usually pictures an older man in an expensive suit. Once I picked up what she was putting down I blurted out, "NO! My boss is a woman!" She started laughing and I was very glad I was able to clear that up before it was too late.

By the way, here's a picture of my new fabulous purse - which I love. I have NEVER paid over $50 for a purse and I was firmly committed to the notion that it was a waste to spend so much money on a stupid purse but I am beginning to understand the appeal of a great purse. I am truly developing real feelings for this accessory - not my boss, the purse.

6 comments:

mistyb said...

that's too funny and the purse is awesome! love it!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

funny -- and really I was with you on the not needing to spend money on a purse thing until I randomly dropped some serious cash for my Coach purse. I've had that thing for almost three years -- and it's starting to look like it. But I LOVE it. It's perfect. And you're red one is awesome. Seriously, where do you work and are they hiring!

Natalie | Make Today Great said...

funny -- and really I was with you on the not needing to spend money on a purse thing until I randomly dropped some serious cash for my Coach purse. I've had that thing for almost three years -- and it's starting to look like it. But I LOVE it. It's perfect. And you're red one is awesome. Seriously, where do you work and are they hiring!

regibells said...

Very spiffy...I have a nock of coach (Steve likes to pick up the nock of purses when he goes to New York for me) It is already falling apart though. I'm sure your's is quality. Those are the best gifts because you can't really justify buying them for yourself.

Camilla said...

LOVE the purse!!! its even nicer when it was given as a gift. after i read the title and then the first sentence with baby shower i was like, oh great someone went off on katie about her not having kids yet or something. so glad i was wrong. :)

Unknown said...

Wow, it is GORGEOUS! I would love to carry that around :)